Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Perk Up Cafe

A friend and I were meeting this week to discuss a book, discuss blogging, and to just chat. Therefore, we needed a place that was quiet, convenient, and offered light fare and drinks. I chose Perk Up Cafe for our meeting and it ended up being exactly what we needed. Check out their website at: Perk Up Cafe.


Perk Up is located right off the Monon in Broad Ripple on Cornell Ave. It's a couple houses down from La Piedad and right around the corner from Rene's Bakery. It's always very peaceful and it feels nicely removed for the sometimes craziness of the main Broad Ripple roads.

Decor:

Perk Up is really nicely done. Very comfortable, cozy, and clean:

There's also a really nice deck that wraps around the building and faces the Monon:

Service:

You head up to the counter if you need coffee, snacks, or sandwiches at Perk Up:

The owner, Kim, and the young lady who served me later in the day (we were there almost four hours) were both very pleasant and had great energy and passion. If you order a sandwich, they bring the plate out to you with a smile.

Food:

I ordered a veggie panini with grapes on the side (other choices were chips or cottage cheese) for lunch:


I thought it was really nicely done. It had avocado, fresh veggies, and cheese. It was tasty and a perfect portion-size for me. The bread was crisp, the cheese melt-y, and the veggies flavorful. I would order it again.

Later, I ordered a chai/coffee drink called "The Dirty Hippie." It was described as a chai with a shot of espresso in it. I've never had a drink like that, but I was assured it was one of the most popular drinks. I actually liked it.

Pricing:

I'm not going to lie. The prices at Perk Up are a little high. My sandwich was about $7.75 and my drink was $5.22 with tax (all specialty drinks are $4.79 before tax). You can get any size for that $5.22  (small, medium, or large).

Verdict:

I love the location and the the ambiance of Perk Up. The food was better than good. If the prices weren't so high, I'm sure it would be a weekly destination. As it is, I'll probably make my way there about once a month. I would give it a 4 out of 5.


Perk Up on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment